Sprouting peas is a fun and simple way to bolster your animal’s diet and add variety. We suggest the following items (but feel free to get creative!):
- Organic whole peas
- Quart-size jar w/lid
- Sprouting screen or cheesecloth fitted for jar
- Fresh, non-chlorinated water
- Step 1: Fill the jar 1/3 full with grains, cover the grain with water, screw on the lid, and let soak for 24 hours.
- Step 2: Drain water, replace lid with screen or cheesecloth, and invert jar to ensure grains do not sit in water. Keep at room temperature for best results.
- Step 3: Rinse grains twice a day with fresh water and drain. Rest the jar horizontally after each rinse (grains lying on their side).
- Step 4: Sprout tails typically begin within 24-48 hours. Refrigerate sprouts once at desired length – up to 2″.
- Step 5: Repeat the process to keep the sprouted barley party going!
Check out our full Sprouting Guide here!